Manchester United said to be looking to sign Bruno Fernandes after signing a defender; €55 million offer touted in Portuguese media

Manchester United said to be looking to sign Bruno Fernandes after signing a defender; €55 million offer touted in Portuguese media

The Bruno Fernandes saga seems to have died down in the media in Portugal for the last few days, however, on Tuesday, the four big newspapers in Portugal seem to think that Manchester United is about to place an official bid for the 24-year-old this summer. This somewhat contradicts what has been reported previously though.

A Bola, Correio da Manhã, Jornal de Notícias and Record all seem to suggest a bid from the Old Trafford club is forthcoming, however, some of them do not think United are close to securing a deal for Fernandes. A Bola, a few weeks ago, said that United would sign a central defender before signing two midfielders this summer.

The same claims are being stuck to by A Bola today, suggesting that Harry Maguire’s move to United, which is obviously a rumour at this moment in time, would then mean that United moved for Fernandes, which is a transfer that would be made whether Paul Pogba leaves the Old Trafford club or not this summer.

It is even stated that Miguel Pinho would be travelling to England once again, something he’s done a lot of recently, according to these reports. It is expected that Pinho will check on an offer from United, which the English media seem to suggest would be around €55 million, something that Sporting CP would not accept as they are holding out for €70 million.

Correio da Manhã seems to be more positive in their report, suggesting that United has set a price that they want to pay for Fernandes, which is €55 million, which is something United will be unlikely to increase. It is said that the offer should be with the club in a couple of days. It may seem that these reports might not actually have any logic of fact applied, just wishful thinking maybe?

Sporting president Frederico Varandas has said a few times that he expects to make €70 million from the sale of Fernandes this summer. However, he also said that he wants the 24-year-old to be the most expensive player to leave the club after João Mário, who left for Inter Milan for €45 million. A €55 million offer from United would make that possible.

Jornal de Notícias seem to be optimistic that a bid could be accepted. Sporting are said to only be interested in official offers for the player this summer. It is suggested, in translation from Sport Witness, that if United’s offer was to reach €60 million up front, with performance bonuses, Sporting would accept. Ideally, with bonuses, €80 million could be raked in for the 24-year-old. Perhaps €70 million in total would be enough.

The last report, coming from Record, states that and the Premier League transfer window closes before those in the rest of Europe, United must hurry and make a move to sign the player. With United out of the picture, it could mean that other interested club in Europe could try and sign Fernandes for a lesser fee, which may result in the player staying put this summer.

This all seems great to read theses things but these claims and more have been stated previously and the weeks that have passed seem to suggest nothing is going to happen. A Bola seem to have something in that United will sign a defender before moving onto midfielders, so this could be something to watch to see if it develops. Fernandes could be a top player in Europe in the years to come and United could rue missing out on him.

READ FULL ARTICLE