July 18, 2019
Manchester United and Bruno Fernandes have been heavily linked throughout the summer. Nothing seems to get getting closer but the media, albeit in Portugal seems to be selling the thought that something is soo to happen concerning the future of the 24-year-old. On Wednesday, the media in Portugal reported that offers could be ‘imminent’.
Today, those reports seems to have moved on a little with suggestions that an offer could be received from United and Tottenham Hotspur in the ‘coming hours’. This is a term used by the media which could indicate something imminent but also cover them for a longer period of time as no matter how you look at it, one hour and 100 hours are ‘coming hours’.
According to Sport Witness, both A Bola and Correio da Manhã seem to agree on the same thing and that seems to be that Fernandes’ agent, Miguel Pinho is, once again, back in England. This has been something which has caused many laughs of late as reports seem to talk about Pinho flitting from Portugal to England and back, very regularly.
At one stage, Liverpool and Manchester City were credited with an interest in the 24-year-old, but both do not seem to be all that interested in all honesty with the latter apparently ruling themselves out as suitors for the Portuguese midfielder. Spurs, on the other hand, have ‘reportedly’ been written out of this for a number of week, making a return now.
It is possible that Mauricio Pochettino’s club has been in the running all long and that they are busy trying to challenge United for the Sporting CP captain this summer, however, do they have the money? United had been suggested as the club leading the race for Fernandes but all said and done, the media says this for most players United have been linked with.
Correio da Manhã has stated that bids for Fernandes should be made in the ‘coming hours’ but A Bola state that Pinho is at this moment ‘agreeing the edges’ of the offers. This suggests that something could actually be happening, despite the fact weeks ago the reports were just as optimistic that something was about to happen.
Jornal de Notícias have their own report about Fernandes. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has apparently made it sound like United will not pay €70 million for Fernandes, in fact neither will Spurs meet that demand. In recent weeks, both United and Spurs have been suggested to be offering €50-€55 million for the 24-year-old. However, Sporting want €70 million.
If an offer reached €60 million, it is unlikely that there will be any bonuses attached which will mean Sporting will not get all that close to the fee they may demand for the player, which may result in both clubs backing off and Sporting keeping a player, who seems to want to move on this summer. It could be a bit of a gamble.
Time though seems to be on the side of Sporting as the transfer window for Premier League clubs will close in three weeks time, which means that if clubs want to sign Fernandes, they will need to get things into place sooner rather than later. United was prioritising a central defender before moving for Fernandes, that might still be the case. I doubt this will be sorted in the ‘coming hours’.