TRANSFER NEWS LIVE – Thursday, July 11
– Bruno Fernandes is waiting on Manchester United to agree a fee with Sporting Lisbon.
– Arsenal hope to persuade Malcom to join them over Everton as they speak with Barcelona
– Mateo Kovacic is overjoyed at having become a Chelsea player on a permanent basis this summer
Inter make formal Lukaku approach
Inter Milan have made a formal approach to Manchester United over a deal for Romelu Lukaku.
The Serie A side are yet to make a formal offer for Lukaku but sporting director Piero Ausilio claims an official approach has been made.
Ausilio jetted into London on Thursday for talks with United over the transfer.
After arriving back, he told Sky Sport Italy: “We had a meeting with Man United for Lukaku.
“There has been an official approach between two important clubs. Let’s see. Conte wants every player we’re trying to sign.”
Ivory Coast exit helps Arsenal
Arsenal have more time to broker a move to sign Wilfried Zaha from Crystal Palace now that Ivory Coast are out of the Africa Cup of Nations.
Zaha will return to London amid his proposed switch to the Emirates, which has been blocked thus far due to Palace’s steep financial demands.
The winger wants the switch to go through as he is a boyhood Arsenal supporter and hopes to play in Europe this season.
Sky Sports reporter Dharmesh Sheth also added: “Wilfried Zaha, this one could be come to a head very, very, very soon.”
Before the end of the quarter-final clash with Ivory Coast lost to Algeria on penalties, fellow reporter Kaveh Solhekol added: “The latest information we have is that nothing will happen until Zaha is back from Egypt and has face-to-face talks with the Crystal Palace hierarchy.
“That needs to happen. But if the Ivory Coast make it to the final, that’s just a couple of weeks before the window closes.”
Villa chose Konsa over Cahill
Aston Villa turned their attention to Ezri Konsa after Gary Cahill’s wages proved too hefty.
Brentford ace Konsa signed for Villa this morning after Dean Smith triggered his £12m release clause.
However, according to The Telegraph, Cahill was initially a serious target for Smith.
But the experienced star, who is unattached after being released from Chelsea last month, wanted too much cash.
Man Utd must sign striker
Manchester United should be looking to sign a top-level striker this summer in order to regain their Champions League status, according to former Red Devils defender Jonathan Spector.
“I think it would be great if [Marcus] Rashford was able to step up and take that role but I don’t know that he is a finished product yet,” the American said.
“It‘s a young team that they’ve got and I think they need to find the right balance between youth and experience, and I’d love to see them bring in a proven goal scorer.
“More like a Van Nistelrooy. Which every club wants, someone you know who is going to get you a number of goals.
“Harry Kane is a perfect example, I’d love to see them bring in someone like that, but also I don’t know how much money is being made available for that position!”
Man Utd on verge of landing Longstaff
Newcastle on the verge of parting with Sean Longstaff as Manchester United look set to sign the midfielder.
With the Magpies ready to announce Steve Bruce as their new manager, it should kick start their transfer window.
No new signings have come through the door yet at St James’ Park, and it appears they are resigned to losing £50m-rated Longstaff.
According to The Guardian, they are close to letting him go to Old Trafford.
Origi filled Liverpool hole
Liverpool striker Divock Origi was only handed a new contract because Jurgen Klopp was unable to find a replacement who could fill his role.
That is the opinion of ESPN FC pundit and former Fulham striker Brian McBride.
“Let’s be honest, he cannot play in the same way [Roberto] Firmino can,” McBride said.
“Liverpool has to actually play a little different style, his mobility isn’t anywhere near as good.
“The only way I can say this is happening is because one: they were unable to find anybody that would be willing to sit on the bench, that would be happy to come in and play a bit part, and also the fact that Divock already understands the situation.
“He understands the way the team plays, he understands the players. But if you’re looking and saying ‘this signing is going to make Liverpool better’ – no.
“Yeah I do [think sentimentality has played a part]. I think that’s part of it as a thank you. Looking at all the other factors, it’s a small factor.”
Fernandes waits on Man Utd
Bruno Fernandes is waiting on Manchester United to secure a transfer agreement with Sporting as he has his heart set on a move.
Journalist Nico Schira has revealed how Fernandes is waiting on both United and Sporting to come to an agreement.
“The first #BrunoFernandes’ choice remain #ManchesterUnited: he is waiting the agreement between #RedDevils and Sporting,” he wrote on Twitter.
Sporting reportedly want more than £50m for their star midfielder.
Arsenal hope with Barcelona talks
Arsenal are trying to convince Malcom’s representatives to snub Everton and move to north London.
According to Spanish daily AS, Everton are willing to hand over even more cash to sign Malcom, and it’s suggested Silva is prepared to pay £32m for the talented attacker.
Arsenal, however, are ready to throw a spanner in the works.
The Gunners have reportedly told Malcom’s camp to hold fire on agreeing terms with their rivals.
Unai Emery, in the meantime, is trying to convince Barca to agree a fee that can be paid in instalments.
Kovacic overjoyed at Chelsea return
Chelsea midfielder Mateo Kovacic is delighted to have made his move to Stamford Bridge permanent.
The Croatian was on loan with the Blues last season from Real Madrid and joined on a full-time basis at the end of June for £40m.
His future was very much up in the air before Chelsea decided to add him to their ranks as their only summer arrival due to the club’s transfer ban.
“It means a lot because I saw the club wanted me and I wanted to stay here from the first day,” Kovacic told Chelsea’s official website. “We had a good connection so I’m happy to stay here, to work hard and play well.
“I had a good relationship with the fans from the start. We had some good games and some bad games but I think in the end we did a good job.”
West Ham hunt other strikers
West Ham are pursuing at least five different options up front after missing out on Maxi Gomez.
West Ham want to bring in TWO forwards and are currently weighing up their options.
Starsport understands the Hammers first made contact over Eintracht Frankfurt striker Sebastien Haller weeks ago and have now renewed their interest in him after missing out on Gomez.
West Ham are willing to pay around £36m for the Frenchman, who has yet to reject a move but is waiting to see if a Champions League club comes in for him.
The Hammers have also enquired about Juventus striker Gonzalo Higuain, who had a disappointing loan spell with Chelsea last season.
The Italians are trying to sell the 31-year-old but West Ham have proposed an incentivised loan with an option to buy which becomes an obligation if certain conditions are met.
Other targets the Hammers have looked at include Porto’s Moussa Marega, but despite being offered Mario Balotelli they have no interest in the Italian.